Isn’t it amazing how many things we accumulate throughout our lives, from material possessions to belief systems? They not only take up a lot of our time, energy, and spirit, but they also distract us from the important things in life.
A common misconception is that in order to be happier in life, you need to add things, whereas in reality, you probably need to get rid of things. Having more and doing more does not always guarantee happiness. Life is too short to be filled with things we don’t need or want.
By becoming aware of and identifying what matters the most in your life, you can do away with what is draining and taxing you and live your life with more focus and less stress.
Let’s take a look at what we can eliminate and replace with something more substantial.
- Replace living in fear with living in peace, trust and courage. When you hide from your fears, they will grow. When you face your fears, they will shrink.
- Replace dwelling on mistakes with looking for the lesson and the learning opportunity.. Mistakes lead you to discovering something new and better. No one or nothing is perfect.
- Replace rehashing the past by being present in everything you do and enjoying the beauty of the present moment.
- Replace toxic people, fake friends, and social media followers with inspiring mentors, true friends, and genuine people.
- Replace blaming, making excuses, and being the victim with putting yourself in the driver’s seat, taking responsibility, and taking your power back. Stop lying to yourself.
- Replace grudges, bitterness, and anger with learning to let go and healing your wounds with forgiveness. Stop the suffering, liberate the soul, and find your inner peace.
- Replace regrets, should have, could have, and I can’t, with “What can I do today?” Stop beating yourself up. Give up on your self-defeating self-talk.
- Replace perfectionism with making room for mistakes, focusing on progress, and striving to do your best.
- Replace overthinking and procrastination with “stop thinking and start doing”. Take action.
- Replace worrying about the things you can’t control with concentrating on what you can control and practising mindfulness.
- Replace feeling stuck and trapped by stepping out of your comfort zone and getting uncomfortable by taking a risk. Spread your wings and fly!
- Replace seeking others’ approval by valuing your self-worth and your self-values. Embrace the real you.
- Replace living to please others with making yourself a priority. Your life matters; live it, own it; don’t ignore your inner voice; don’t let others derail your path.
- Replace “Yes” with being brave and learning to say “No”. Set your boundaries or others will walk all over you.
- Replace social media addiction with managing your time, doing other activities, hobbies, and spending time with people.
- Replace complaints with doing something positive to improve the situation and practise gratitude.
- Replace unsatisfying careers or soul-sucking jobs with soul-searching work and go after your dreams and passions. Follow your bliss.
- Replace anything that is excessive with moderation and live in balance.
- Replace multitasking and distractions (shallow working) with single tasking and more focus (effective working).
- Replace naysayers and gossipers with positive people who lift you up and are supportive.
- Replace instant gratification with patience which leads to wisdom and serenity.
- Replace rushing and being super busy with stopping to smell the roses and appreciating the small things.
- Replace a fixed mindset with being open to learning new things. Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open.
- Replace feeding into your drama with stepping back and recognizing that there is no need to get overwhelmed; protect your energy by staying calm and focusing on what you can do to find a solution. We all have mini-fires to put out. Avoid being sucked into the negative vortex and turning them into raging fires.
- Replace ignoring feelings by tuning in and validating your emotions in order to gain greater access to your true self and to fulfill your needs.
- Replace jealousy and comparing yourself to others with feeling secure in yourself and focusing on what you have, flaws and all, with no shame. Just be you.
- Replace being habitually negative with being intentionally positive. It’s a conscious choice.
- Replace limiting, negative self-beliefs with daily positive affirmations. You can rewire your brain to create new empowering beliefs that will help you change your course.
- Replace settling for less by giving yourself permission to chase your dreams. Ask, and you shall receive. Believe and you will achieve.
- Replace taking yourself too seriously by developing a sense of humour; having fun, being silly, and laughing more. See things in a lighter perspective.
- Replace clutter in your home by getting rid of excessive possessions and accumulated stuff. It will be easier to manage your home and time, as well as save you a lot of money. If you don’t use it, love it, get rid of it and make “room” for a relaxed space with less stress and more freedom. Your home is a living space, not a storage space, so let the energy flow and be happy!
Slow down, look around, and decide what is making you feel run down and frustrated. When you hold on to stuff, it ends up holding you back. Create space in your home, mind, and heart so you can reconnect with yourself and align each day with living your true life, filled with what is truly essential.
Life may not always be easy, but it is simple. We need to get out of our own way and stop complicating things. To find a more meaningful and easy life, live your life on purpose and with intention. Find joy in the simple things.