Winter Solstice Blessings and Gifts
The Winter Solstice falls on December 21st and marks the official start of winter. In the northern hemisphere, the earth is tilted on its axis and is the farthest away from the sun making for the shortest day of the year. From here on in, the days will slowly start to lengthen and the nights will slowly start to shorten. Throughout ancient times and history, many cultures have celebrated the change of the seasons by honouring our connection to Nature. The Winter Solstice symbolizes the death and rebirth of the sun. Many of the customs and rituals are associated with light, fire, death, life, rebirth and the rising of the sun.
The spiritual meaning of the Winter Solstice is to remind us of this sacred time to slow down, to rest and to reflect.
Just like animals and nature go into hibernation, we too need that time to bring our energy within as we dive deep into the darkness. This is vital for our spiritual growth as we plant the seeds of our heart’s dreams and desires. To hear the calling of our soul, learn to embrace the silence in the darkness so that the new inspirations and yearnings can emerge just like the seeds that are buried in the darkness of the earth’s soil and are getting ready to sprout in the spring.
During this period, we need to become aware and consciously connect to nature’s cycles. As we honour this journey into the night, we start to prepare to embrace the light again as we gain more knowledge and insight into our own personal cycle.
No need to fear the darkness as it is a prerequisite for our personal growth and transformation. It is the most ideal time to get in touch with our emotions and to allow ourselves to open up and feel them. They contain much needed information that has to be processed and integrated. Hence, the only way to deal with your feelings is to go through them. There are no shortcuts or substitutions. No amount of denying or ignoring them will eliminate them either.
Be true to yourself by facing and acknowledging your feelings, your dark side, your shadows. This can help transform them as you make it through the darkness and into the light. This is where new life is born; a new cycle, a new growth, a new you.
Follow your truth and let the light within your heart be of guidance to you. As you learn to listen and trust your intuitive voice and vision, your inner light will be able to shine bright. This is the path of least resistance where you will discover your courage and strength to stay calm and carry on with the hope of good things to come and a sense of renewal.
Winter is the time for endings leading to new beginnings and rebirth. Time to reflect and to release what no longer serves your higher purpose. The silence helps you focus on your self examination with no distractions as you concentrate on what you have learnt and what is important to you.
As you dig deep and discover what doesn’t bring light in your life anymore, realize that it’s time to “lighten up” and to let go, whether it be things, old beliefs, old stories or toxic relationships.
It is essential to get rid of whatever is holding you back and to make room for new ideas, new inspirations, new goals and positive change. Remember, it always takes more energy to carry dead weight than it does to let go. It is liberating and allows you to move forward as opposed to staying stuck.
The Winter Solstice is a time to celebrate and remember that there is light in the darkest part of the season. The sun will always rise as it offers us hope and the promise of a new day. It’s always the darkest before dawn as we get ready to welcome the light again.
By embracing and honouring the magic of the winter season, we can celebrate the eternal light within us all that guides us through the darkness as we tap into our true powers and gifts. Creating rituals that represent that light play an important role in our lives by giving us meaning and purpose. Rituals make the statement that your life is sacred and special. Make the time to honour and acknowledge that which is of value. Create the intention to carry the energy forward into your day to help you manifest your heart’s true desires.
Here are some suggestions to help you make your own rituals on December 21st that serve as a reminder of our divine light.
- Light a candle; symbolic of the light in the darkness
- Decorate with lights; brightening things up as you lighten up the darkness and bring happiness.
- Relax by the fireplace with a warm drink and a great book.
- Watch the sunrise, either outside or by your window; feel the warmth of the sun on your face and notice the light around you.
- Go out in nature everyday; feel that energy that connects us all.
- Build an altar; in essence you are creating a special place and time for your daily meditations, reflection time, journalling.
- Count your blessings and don’t forget to ask for blessings.
- When you’re feeling down, look up to the shining stars and moon.
- Write down your intentions and your goals as you plan for your future. Intentions are like seeds that contain all of your deepest desires. Use the creative power of intentions by taking aim and directing your energy to build and nurture what you want to manifest in your life.
- Write down a list of all the things, old beliefs, old stories you no longer need. When you are finished and ready to let go, burn that letter in your fireplace or do something symbolic that shows you are ready to release it.
- Winter cleaning in your home is the time to declutter whatever does not bring you joy or happiness anymore. Donate or sell it to someone who can appreciate it and put it to good use.
- Prepare a nourishing dinner with your friends and share the warmth.
May your spirit shine bright in the dark as you seek peace, balance and harmony in your life. Many blessings to you.
And remember, the sun is always around the corner.